What if the person to be served cannot be found or is evasive?

August 24, 2016

If the named party in the documents cannot be found, the court may allow service by publication in a newspaper or by mail. Typically, the court may request that a reasonable attempt be made to actually serve the defendant or the person named before they grant permission to allow service by publication. This is why it is so important to hire a professional Nationwide Process Server who is familiar with local rules and regulation. Our Nationwide Process Servers are highly experienced in serving evasive people. 
Also, in many states, “Substitute Service” on a family member over the age of 14 who resides in the same household is acceptable. Substituted Service is not permitted in certain types of legal matters such as divorce petitions where the individual must be served personally.
Substituted Service should be done as the last resort and shown as part of the Due Diligence process. Please be sure to always refer to the rules of civil procedure in your state to make sure you are in compliance with local rules and regulations.


If needed, we can also run a comprehensive skip trace search using the name and other identifying information (last known address, DOB or SS#) to determine current home address.  





Please reload

Featured Posts

Top 5 Reasons to choose We Serve Law LLC to be your Nationwide Process Servers

February 5, 2020

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload